Wednesday, August 6, 2008

I Love My PCI

PCI as in PCI-DSS as in Payment Card Industry Data Security Standards

We met with a QSA on Monday. Don't me what QSA stands for - their the official PCI auditors. The killer statement from the meeting was that every network device we manage which forwards a packet with payment card data in it - even if that data is encrypted - is within scope for PCI compliance. My understanding is that this means that requirements like regular password rotation, quarterly config reviews, and file integrity monitoring apply to all out network equipment. We run a very secure network, but security != compliance so we will end up spending a lot of time dotting our I's and crossing our T's. And a lot more time showing auditors that we dotted and crossed !

No comments: